- Are you looking for a senior leadership role within a leading professional services firm that offers clear partnership progression?
- Have you recognised the exciting energy transition client portfolio opportunities in the Aberdeen region?
- Do you have a current or historical Aberdeen network that can be reignited to drive business development opportunities?
- Would a cost-effective relocation to Aberdeen, an emerging hub of economic activity for the energy, agriculture, life-science and tourism sectors, be an interesting prospect for you?
- Do forward-thinking, diverse and inclusive senior leadership strategies within a fast-paced and dynamic organisation evoke passion and drive within you?
Simpson Booth is delighted to be supporting a top tier professional services firm on an exclusive basis to recruit a Corporate Tax Director. This significant addition to the leadership team, will spearhead the mid-market Corporate Tax Advisory offering in the Aberdeen market, and will take the lead on associated business development opportunities in the region.
You will join the Aberdeen tax team with responsibility for developing and executing the corporate tax strategy for privately owned and private equity backed businesses. This role brings a clear progression opportunity to partner for the right candidate, together with exposure not just to the energy transition, but also to diverse and exciting market segments associated with it and the wider industries that thrive around the Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire areas.
Boldly forward-thinking with their senior leadership strategy and embracing and encouraging of diversity and inclusion, this Client is an advocate for social equality. This is underpinned in their values, social equality targets and the bold and disruptive changes they are making to diversity and inclusion, innovating who they are and the way they do business. You will join an innovative community of people from different professional and personal backgrounds who are proud of the supportive and meritocratic culture they cultivate.
The tax practice of this firm is a successful and rapidly growing area of the business with exciting and innovative plans to accelerate this growth further. The Aberdeen and wider Scottish team will play a critical role in achieving the growth objectives and in developing the corporate tax business.
You will join as a key senior member of the Aberdeen office and Scottish tax leadership teams. Acting as a visible linchpin of the tax practice, you will help clients navigate tax complexities, such as changes in tax policy, build new business models and lead the structuring of transactions and financing. Primarily a corporate tax role, a broader understanding of entrepreneurial tax issues is required by the nature of the mid-market client focus of this position. The accountabilities of this position will also capture the provision of holistic tax advice to diverse stakeholders, leading collaborative teams and applying deep industry knowledge from the wider tax practice. You will have the opportunity to enhance your client relationship skills, build your leadership qualities, collaborate with other specialist colleagues and cultivate your commercial and technical knowledge in a dynamic environment. The Tax Director will lead client relationships for all of this firm’s service offerings (both across tax and other capabilities) as a visible senior leader.
There is an exciting and diverse portfolio of clients awaiting the successful candidate with sufficient capacity to allow this individual to facilitate the market-facing requirement of this role. The Tax Director will be actively out in the market, meeting clients, building, and developing key relationships and driving business opportunities in key growth areas for the firm. There is a competitive remuneration, bonus and benefits package on offer for the successful candidate.
Role and responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to the following:
- You will be a senior leader in spearheading the tax offering to privately owned and private equity backed businesses in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire and surrounding areas
- Develop and grow the tax team to establish specialist focus on the above key growth areas
- Develop strong working relationships with the Aberdeen partners to implement and execute the wider office strategy
- With this being a market-facing role, you will be accountable for engaging with new business prospects using your commercial astuteness to recognise new business opportunities whilst driving sales for existing clients and target organisations
- Hold and maintain control of high-level conversations with senior stakeholders in these markets.
- Capable of introducing relevant specialists from across the firm and articulating their specialism and skills
- Lead by example with client relationships, project and service delivery, technical quality and on commercial projects
- Actively encourage learning and development within the team, promoting team and personal profile across internal networks to promote collaboration and increase internal leads
- Play a key role in coaching, mentoring, and developing less experienced team members
- Leading on the design, development, and delivery of proposals for new business opportunities
- Identify client issues and recognise commercial opportunities for wider teams to capitalise on
- Drive these new business opportunities forward by taking an active role in introductions to other areas of the Firm
Knowledge, experience and attributes required:
- You will have a demonstrable track record of business development; building and developing relationships with multiple stakeholders to achieve new business opportunities internally and externally
- An existing, current, or historical Aberdeen network/connection to the Aberdeen area is an advantage
- Extensive technical Corporate Tax expertise and experience of leading teams, and projects in the delivery of services in this area
- Demonstrable experience of working on complex tax projects for privately owned and private equity backed businesses
- You will be an inspirational leader with the ability to generate drive, change and innovation across diverse team members and senior leaders alike
- An impactful, honest and consistent communicator, capable of evoking passion and enthusiasm
- Leading by example in displaying an all-encompassing collaborative approach
- A focal point and pinnacle of inclusivity, inspiration, and respect. Operating in this manner with colleagues, clients, and wider community
- A brand and reputation ambassador, building the reputation of this firm through knowledge, experience, and quality of work
- Qualified CTA, ACA/CA or equivalent
- Capable of sustaining a high level of drive, positive attitude and passion
- An interest and ambition to achieve Partner level through quality of work, knowledge and experience
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with strong oral and written communication skills