Position: Senior Ruby Software Engineer
Location: London, UK
Simpson Booth are partnered with a fintech industry leader to support them in their recruitment for a Senior Ruby Software Engineer to join their rapidly growing London team. This is a fantastic opportunity to join our Client at a uniquely fast-paced time – our client is growing and evolving at an exciting speed to keep up with the way pensions and pension products are shaping our financial planning for the future and our client are focused on cultivating an inclusive and diverse workforce of passionate Ruby specialists and experts to continue to do that.
Complimented by state-of-the art digital products, programming tools and software, our Client prides itself on continuous evolution to remain at the pioneering forefront of the pension world, and they are seeking an experienced, dynamic and passionate Senior Ruby Software Engineer to help them continue to do that. You will be an expert Ruby Developer, with a proven commercial background in crafting and developing applications, and be eager to join a dynamic, rapidly growing team of diverse individuals. Our Client is dedicated to sourcing the best talent available and is open to sponsoring visas for those outside of the UK.
Our Client is exciting and diverse. Pension companies in the past have been slow to adapt to new technology and methods, but our Client are changing the world of pensions and to keep up with it, they are looking for people who are happy to operate in an ambiguous environment, people who bring ideas to the table but above all, people who deliver software. They are moving forward at pace and are upbeat and passionate about making things successful. They are excited about new ideas, different ways of thinking and diverse background and approaches – and are excited about getting your pioneering ideas out into the world!
Role and responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Develop new user facing features.
- Engineering a better code base with your team.
- Work within a smaller 8-10 person agile engineering team, part of a wider Engineering organisation
- Work on tickets assigned to you, this includes writing code and specs (tests) and checking that new code passes other test coverage.
- Review Pull Requests from other developers.
- Work in a collaborative, agile team environment
- Be awesome at what you do best, code!
- Occasionally pair with other Engineers – we have pairing machines
Knowledge and experience required:
- Significant commercial experience with Ruby, working in a Ruby on rails environment.
- Deep understanding of object-orientated programming
- Desire to work with Domain Driven Design
- Love to work using TDD
- Understanding of relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Understanding of web design patterns
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential
- Most importantly, a desire to learn, grow, working with an amazing team and deliver software
- Important: Should you reach interview stage, you will have to showcase your experience in the following ways of coding: OOP (object-oriented programming), TDD (test driven development) and DDD (domain driven development), so this expertise is essential!
Due to the high levels of interest in our advertised vacancies and the number of applications we receive, Simpson Booth regrets that it is not possible to respond to all submissions. If you have not heard from Simpson Booth regarding your application within 14 days please assume that, in this instance, you have been unsuccessful.