Our Client is a global oil and gas and renewables service company. The renewables business unit of our client, industry-leading specialists in the delivery of offshore wind farm projects and cable installation services, is looking for a fulltime Senior Legal Counsel to join their Legal and Contracts Department in Leer, Germany.
This is a permanent staff opportunity, and the post holder will be responsible for providing commercially astute legal support to Offshore Cables predominantly. You will be guiding and managing the Leer based legal and contracts team and supporting tendering on a day-to-day basis. This will include contract reviews and negotiations, support to Supply Chain Management during tender phase, drafting agreements and other legal tasks as required. This is a senior role, and as such you will be reporting to the Legal Director, the local MD and you will also have 7 direct reports which constitutes the local legal and contracts team in Leer.
Role and Responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Review and qualify general and special conditions contained within prospective clients’ invitations to tender (in partnership with the relevant tendering manager).
- Identify and advise tender team on recommended steps to mitigate potential contractual and commercial risks, taking into account contracting principles as against actual risks.
- Engagement with other functions to ensure review of the complete bid in order to achieve consistency and avoid duplication of effort.
- Attend tender board as part of the tender team to present a contractual risk summary to management and seek appropriate deviations as and when necessary
- Attend meetings with prospective clients and major suppliers to negotiate acceptable terms and conditions
- Providing guidance to supply chain and project personnel on contractual wording/risk mitigation and advising on contractual interpretation.
- Draft and review general legal agreements including confidentiality agreements, mutual hold harmless agreements, Parent company guarantees, memorandum of understanding, pre-bid agreements and co-operation agreements among others
- Develop the legal and contracts team through clearly understood roles, responsibilities and performance objectives, regular feedback and continuing professional training
- Manage and actively participate in the performance appraisal for the legal and contracts team
- Provide strategic direction, leadership, supervision and mentoring to the legal and contracts team
- Provide general legal advice
- Instruct external legal counsel (legal opinions, litigation)
Qualifications and Education Required
- A law degree is essential
- You must be a qualified lawyer (German law qualifications preferred but not essential)
- In-house legal expertise required
Knowledge and experience required
- Extensive proven experience in a legal counsel capacity working in the energy sector (Renewables experience preferred)
- Proven experience of reviewing, negotiating and advising on tendering contracts and providing legal support on projects including dispute resolution
- Experience in qualifying EPCI contracts, FIDIC yellow book and other industry standard contracts in addition to bespoke client contracts.
- Relevant previous experience in a commercial / contracting environment with strong commercial awareness and effective negotiation skills.
- Proven general legal experience and in-house legal expertise
Skills and Attributes Required
- Excellent oral and written communicative skills in the English and German language
- Competency in Microsoft Office is essential
- Proven people management skills
- Management and negotiation skills
- High level of integrity
- Resourceful and pragmatic problem-solving abilities with hands-on attitude
- Position requires someone who can work within a team
- Ability to prioritise and manage own workload is essential
- Ability and desire to work autonomously and take responsibility for a given remit
- Organisational awareness required
Due to the high levels of interest in our advertised vacancies and the number of applications we receive, Simpson Booth regrets that it is not possible to respond to all submissions. If you have not heard from Simpson Booth regarding your application within 14 days please assume that, in this instance, you have been unsuccessful.