Position: Senior ESG / Sustainability Advisor
Location: London, UK
Our Client is an internationally recognised Energy and Oil and Gas Operator with exciting international operations across multiple continents. This Client is a deepwater operations leader and has committed to achieving net zero within the decade. They are now looking for a Senior ESG / Sustainability Advisor to join them on a permanent staff basis.
Reporting to the Head of Sustainability in London, the successful candidate will work with a broad range of external and internal stakeholders, providing technical advice and guidance on a range of sustainability / ESG issues material to the business. Responsibilities will include the development of thematic programmes (e.g. ocean health, biodiversity) and supporting the business in understanding, interpreting, and responding to increasingly complex stakeholder expectations, ensuring the company remains compliant with all applicable regulations, aligned with relevant frameworks and industry best practice.
Role and responsibilities will include but may not be limited to the following:
- Collaborating closely with key stakeholders across the organisation, in supporting the development of the Sustainability strategy and goals.
- Engage with external stakeholder groups / associations to understand emerging best practice / trends in terms of Sustainability/ ESG issues; reporting practices and standards development and working with cross-functional team, supporting organisational preparedness to respond.
- Provide leadership on the interpretation, implementation, and alignment with, current and emerging Sustainability / ESG disclosure frameworks e.g. Task Force for Nature related Financial Disclosures (TNFD), International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB), Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP); Global Reporting Initiative (GRI); working closely with relevant subject matter experts across the business in preparing appropriate disclosures.
- Improve the understanding and management of sustainability / ESG risks and opportunities, collaborating with key stakeholders, across the business.
- Lead author on key specific Sustainability/ESG disclosures, including non-financial environmental disclosures, e.g. CDP, TNFD, and specific content author for other key reports and communications collateral, e.g. Sustainability Report, Half Year Results, Trading Statements, Annual Report.
- Collaborating with team members and other key stakeholders across the business (e.g. Sustainability / EHS data providers), helping to ensure reporting principles are understood and reflected in reporting protocols and organisational boundaries, e.g. operated vs. net equity emissions.
- Engage with key stakeholders across the business (e.g. Group / African EHS Team) in assessing evolving reporting requirements, to identify appropriate solutions for identified gaps in our reporting capabilities.
- Attend internal and external events/conferences/seminars on ESG topics, relevant to key stakeholders, develop internal / external stakeholder network and briefs for the wider team/organisation.
- Ad-hoc provision of data to support submissions to external ratings agencies, requests from underwriters, etc.
Knowledge and experience required:
- Degree/diploma, relevant to an ESG / Sustainability domain: Engineering; Science; Finance.
- Previous experience developing and implementing sustainability strategies and plans ideally within the oil and gas or similarly regulated industry
- Preference given to candidates with experience dealing with African stakeholders and institutions
- Excellent verbal, written and listening skills.
- Able to work effectively with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Keen eye for detail.
- Takes a proactive approach.
- Ability to take responsibility and manage tasks through to completion.
- React quickly & flexible to changing circumstances.
- Use initiative to ensure issues are overcome.
- Seek ways to find and apply best practice.
- Adopt a pragmatic, fit for purpose approach.
- Confident dealing with a wide range of stakeholders within a dynamic environment.
- Open, honest & reliable.