Position: Safety Case Discipline Lead
Location: Manchester, UK (hybrid)
Our Client is a global partner of choice to critical missions across the defence, security and energy sectors. They excel in providing solution integration/management and engineering solutions to technically complex and nationally significant projects. With over 20,000 employees across 7 continents, their success is underpinned by their values of commitment, integrity, inclusion and collaboration. Our Client is currently embarking on a strategic and exciting growth curve across their UK business, and as such, they are now seeking a Safety Case Discipline Lead to commence the exciting growth of their Nuclear Safety capability. This individual will join as a catalyst for further growth and exist as the most senior focal point within the discipline. They will spearhead growth of their specific discipline from an internal technical assurance and capability perspective, a resource management and team growth perspective and a business development perspective.
- Do you possess both nuclear safety technical experience and commercial/business acumen?
- Are you interested in joining a rapidly growing global partner in defence, energy and security where you will make a mission-critical impact from the offset?
- Do you have experience engaging with the ONR, with senior leadership, with project stakeholders and multiple suppliers?
- Does the opportunity to build, manage and coach high performing teams whilst working in a critical Discipline Lead role ignite passion and enthusiasm within you?
Please note, these positions will require the ability to gain and retain Security Clearance and willingness to obtain Developed Vetting.
Purpose and Scope (Safety Case Discipline Lead)
The Discipline Lead is responsible for the development of core radiological safety case capability and delivery support to programmes, projects and wider UK growth aspiration.
Role and responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Acts in any safety case role required for project support, such as safety case manager, safety case author, Independent Verifier
- Supports programme and project safety case leads where requested, including strategic planning
- Assists Head of Profession in capability development and establishment and implementation of resource strategies, recruitment plans and competence.
- Identifies, implements, reviews and monitors Client and programme specific management and technical arrangements to support delivery.
- Prepares and coordinates assessment and analysis delivery for projects, interfacing with engineering, project management, project controls and document management functions.
- Advises Client leadership, engineering, programme and project management, and customer (intelligent Customer), on regulatory compliance, standards and guidance
- Assists safety case assurance though project, programme and corporate requirements
- Defines and develops interfaces between all related functions, including engineering and projects to ensure work is delivered
- Supports the client in interactions with Regulators and safety committees
- Support Client business development function as required
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor of Science degree (or equivalent education)
- Experience of safety case document production and management, including more complex cases
- Experience of a wide range of lifecycle safety cases in nuclear material fabrication and waste plants
- Experience in two or more UK Nuclear Site Licensee Organisations
- Experience of managing staff and contractors
- Knowledge of a range of hazard identification and analytical tools
- Knowledge of UK nuclear site licensing, safety assessment principles, regulatory guidance on safety assessment and nuclear Site Licence Conditions
- Knowledge of Regulatory permissioning/flexible permissioning
- Ability to supervise staff
- Good oral and written communication skills, including presentation and report writing
- Good MS applications, organizational skills and ability to perform detail-oriented work
Desirable knowledge and experience
- Experience of safety case in civil reactors and defence sector
- Experience of UK nuclear new build
- Experience of international nuclear safety assessment
- Project management and project controls
- Stakeholder management
- Ability to mentor and coach
Due to the high levels of interest in our advertised vacancies and the number of applications we receive, Simpson Booth regrets that it may not be possible to respond to all submissions. If you have not heard from Simpson Booth regarding your application within 14 days please assume that, in this instance, you have been unsuccessful.