Position: Ruby Technical Lead
Simpson Booth have partnered with a fintech industry leader to support them in their recruitment for a Ruby Technical Lead to join their rapidly growing London team. This is a fantastic opportunity to join our client at a uniquely fast-paced time – our client is growing and evolving at an exciting speed to keep up with the way pensions and pension products are shaping our financial planning for the future. Our client is focused on cultivating an inclusive and diverse workforce of passionate specialists and experts to continue to do that.
Complimented by state-of-the art digital products, programming tools and software, our client prides itself on continuous evolution to remain at the pioneering forefront of the pension world, and they are seeking an experienced, dynamic and passionate Ruby Technical Lead to help them do this. You will be an expert Ruby Developer, with a proven commercial background in crafting and developing applications, and be eager to join a dynamic, rapidly growing team of diverse individuals. Our Client is dedicated to sourcing the best talent available and is open to sponsoring visas for those outside of the UK – could you be the next Ruby Technical Lead taking on architectural ownership and technical quality accountability for a fintech market leader?
Our Client is exciting and diverse. Pension companies in the past have been slow to adapt to new technology and methods, but our Client are changing the world of pensions and to keep up with it, they are looking for people who are happy to operate in an ambiguous environment, people who bring ideas to the table but above all, people who deliver software. They are moving forward at pace and are upbeat and passionate about making things successful. They are excited about new ideas, different ways of thinking and diverse background and approaches – and are excited about getting pioneering ideas out into the world!
Role and responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to the following:
- You will be part of an 8–10-person agile engineering team, and part of a wider engineering organisation
- Lead a team of highly talented and collaborative engineers
- You will develop new user facing features, and engineer a better code base with your team.
- You will work on tickets assigned to you: this includes writing code and specs (tests) and checking that new code passes other test coverage – plan to spend at least 50%, preferably 70% of your time writing code
- Help evolve development standards and practices
- You will take architectural ownership of various critical components and systems
- You will review Pull Requests from other developers.
- Work in a collaborative, agile team environment that is continuously improvement
- You will be involved in mentoring and coaching members of the team
- Overall responsible for the technical quality of what the team is producing!
Knowledge and experience required:
- Significant commercial experience with Ruby, working in a Ruby on Rails environment (as a guide in multiple projects, with proven years of commercial experience in this capacity)
- Deep understanding of object-orientated programming
- Desire to work with Domain Driven Design
- Love to work using TDD
- Enjoy helping other Engineers improve and become better Engineers and humans
- Understanding of relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Understanding of web design patterns
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential
- Previous experience in leading a team is useful, but not essential
- Most importantly, a desire to learn and grow, working with an amazing team and delivering software
- Important: Should you reach interview stage, you will have to showcase your experience in the following ways of coding: OOP (object-oriented programming), TDD (test driven development) and DDD (domain driven development), so this expertise is essential!
Due to the high levels of interest in our advertised vacancies and the number of applications we receive, Simpson Booth regrets that it is not possible to respond to all submissions. If you have not heard from Simpson Booth regarding your application within 14 days please assume that, in this instance, you have been unsuccessful.