Our Client is a global partner of choice providing high voltage offshore infrastructure design, installation, maintenance and repair; servicing the offshore renewables sector for over 10 years. They are now actively recruiting for a critical senior leadership position, a Head of Engineering, to join their growing workforce in a permanent staff position.
This is a key internal stakeholder position, reporting directly to the Managing Director of this rapidly growing business. This organisation is embarking on an ambitious growth trajectory, and is seeking a strategic, technically minded and line-management experienced individual to spearhead the growth and structure of their internal engineering capability. The key functions of this role include:
- Leading and building a high-performing internal engineering team that will provide worldclass technical support and expertise to the company’s HV solutions and renewables clients
- Bringing strategic expertise and direction to the engineering function and lead on innovation and R&D, upholding our Client’s position at the forefront of the HV Offshore Renewables Industry
- Providing on occasion, external engineering consultancy / engagement to external stakeholders
This is an exceptional, key stakeholder position for a person passionate about renewables, and passionate about leading and developing worldclass engineering teams. Ideally, you will have experience of HV engineering/solutions and of the offshore wind sector.
Role and responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Ensure that the Client has sufficient Engineering capability and capacity within the business, including the formulation of an organisational structure to support both external and internal engineering requirements.
- Support business unit heads in finding solutions to engineering & technical challenges
- Assist and support the Client’s operations and projects as a central authority on technical subjects for example, protection systems, asset management, grid code and STC.
- Maintain a deep knowledge of the latest trends, technologies and best practices in the renewables industry, informing the business of developments within industry that impact on the organisation.
- Be responsible for the Engineering input to the development of the training and competency framework.
- Support the development of Engineering Policies and Standards to ensure quality, compliance and operational efficiency and to ensure the Client’s compliance with ISO accreditation.
- Oversee professional registration of employees, eg CEng, EngTech.
- Lead the Client on innovation and R&D, keeping their technical knowledge at the forefront of industry and enhancing their reputation for technical excellence.
- Provide training to staff on appropriate specialist engineering subjects.
- Support the bid process as an acknowledged technical expert.
- Develop strategic relationships with key stakeholders who are considered forefront thinkers within industry.
- Write articles and white papers on specific topics relevant to the industry.
- Speak at relevant events and conferences to showcase our Client’s technical expertise.
- Seek out opportunities to become a member of specific bodies that have a significant reputation within industry.
- Uphold the Client’s values of: pioneering spirit, integrity, energy and resilience.
Knowledge/ Skills/ Experience Required
- Degree in an engineering discipline.
- Offshore wind industry experience essential
- Extensive high voltage engineering experience in an operation-based environment including knowledge of HV equipment asset management practices, inspection, maintenance, condition monitoring, industry best practice and HV safety requirements for work
- Experience as a leader of HSE culture and best practice
- Innovative thinking skills with the ability to challenge the status quo.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) with an ability to liaise with people at all levels both internally and externally.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a willingness to build relationships with internal EDS teams to progress the goals of the department.
- Prepared to travel UK and overseas on a regular basis
- Organised and meticulous, with a keen eye for detail.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines, but also able to successfully balance this with progressing important but less urgent work.
- A self-starter who uses their own initiative and can manage their own workload.
- Sound knowledge of the global offshore renewable energy sector with a strong customer focus
- Valid Driving licence
- Valid UK and/or EU Passport
- Commitment to Continuing Professional Development
- Ability to meet the requirements of GWO Offshore Medical and survival certificates.
This role will pay up to £70,000 – £80,000 per annum and will also offer additional benefits (car allowance/potential bonus etc)
Due to the high levels of interest in our advertised vacancies and the number of applications we receive, Simpson Booth regrets that it is not possible to respond to all submissions. If you have not heard from Simpson Booth regarding your application within 14 days please assume that, in this instance, you have been unsuccessful.