Our Client is an international Oil and Gas Operator with significant deepwater, ultra deepwater, and onshore drilling and production operations across the global arena. They are now seeking an Ethics and Compliance Investigations Lead on a permanent staff basis.
You will join the small London-based Ethics and Compliance team. The position will require you to protect our Client and its staff through proactive management of all elements of the firm’s established E&C Programme – including (but not limited to) Anti-Bribery and Corruption measures (ABC). The successful candidate will have specific responsibilities for:
- The proactive, effective and efficient investigation of all reported/potential cases of unethical conduct and/or non-compliance with laws, regulations, and the company’s Code of Ethical Conduct (CoEC), in accordance with the company’s Investigation Procedure.
- Management of E&C-related due diligence (DD) assurance activities in relation to third parties working with our Client, via the Dow Jones platform and other resources.
This is a hybrid role with flexible arrangements of office vs working from home (2 in the office, 3 from home with flexibility). Occasional overseas business trips will be required, potentially involving visits to offshore and other operating facilities.
Role and responsibilities will include but may not be limited to the following:
- Promptly and proactively coordinate/lead E&C investigations, as/when required, in accordance with our Client’s Investigation Procedure.
- Coordinate with, and adequately supervise/manage, any of the E&C Investigation Specialists that may be required to support investigations.
- Coordinate with, and adequately supervise/manage, any external investigation resources required.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records pertaining to all reported E&C concerns, including subsequent investigations, reporting, follow-up, and closure of any recommended actions, using the E&C Investigations Tracker and other effective mechanisms.
- Maintain, implement, and periodically review the Investigations Procedure. Take responsibility for continuous improvement (including innovative methodologies/systems) in the established processes/practices/templates and establishment of cost-effective external specialist call-off support.
- Develop, maintain, and report on appropriate E&C investigation Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and strive to improve the informative reporting of these KPIs for the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), Audit Committee and Board (and other applicable stakeholders).
- Manage and enhance company’s E&C risk assessment (including anti-fraud and high-risk transactions/processes), in conjunction with input from other relevant teams – such as Internal Audit & Risk, Finance and Human Resources (HR).
- Proactively assist with the E&C awareness and investigation training initiatives, to drive improvement in business ethics culture, with a focus on high and emerging risk areas, and support for company’s ‘Safecall’ reporting tool.
- Proactively assist with the E&C awareness and investigation training initiatives, to drive improvement in business ethics culture, with a focus on high and emerging risk areas. This includes a specific focus on third party awareness.
- Proactively drive awareness of, and support for company’s ‘ComplianceLine’ reporting tool, to increase the level of concerns reported, and endeavour to increase the proportion of concerns reported directly to the E&C team. This includes a specific focus on awareness by third parties.
- Maintain responsibility for E&C-related DD assurance activities, using the Dow Jones platform – including continuous monitoring or screening matches and FCPA Tracker investigation updates; weekly review/management of ‘red flag’ risk mitigations/actions; established monthly/quarterly assurance checks; and continuous improvement related to such assurance activities and associated DD record-keeping. This will include all third parties including suppliers, high-risk consultants, and oil marketing third parties.
Knowledge and experience required:
- Relevant professional qualification(s) – such as Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA), Chartered Accountant (CA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and/or International Certified Compliance & Ethics Professional (CCEP -I) or other relevant professional qualification(s).
- Relevant Risk Management, Internal Audit, External Audit, E&C, ABC, investigations/interviewing, data analysis/interrogation, anti-fraud management experience and/or human rights and worker welfare.
- Practical experience in a multi-national company (preferably energy or oil/gas-related), and specifically conducting/leading operational audits, forensic audits and/or E&C investigations.
- Knowledge of the external legal/regulatory environment and latest trends in enforcement of antibribery laws – including a good knowledge of the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and U.K. Bribery Act (UKBA).
- Familiarity with finance, supply chain, DD and HR processes/controls – including, preferably, working knowledge of the SAP business technology and Dow Jones DD platforms.
- Practical experience of conducting risk-based third-party E&C DD on individuals and entities, in accordance with applicable legislation and international best practice, preferably via the internationally-recognised ‘Dow Jones’ third-party risk management platform.
- Extensive overseas work experience – preferably with a focus on Africa, South America and other developing countries.
- Knowledge of best-practice E&C programs/frameworks and key processes/controls – including (but not limited to) Conflicts of Interest (COI), Gifts & Hospitality (G&H), Donations/Contributions, third party DD, Public Officials & Politically Exposed Persons (POs/PEPs).
- Practical experience of planning and conducting worker welfare inspections, audits, and assessments, in accordance with applicable legislation and international best practice
Skills and personal attributes required:
- Excellent English language (verbal and written) skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, report-writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent investigative and interviewing skills.
- Excellent ability to assess/analyse complex business information; identify key issues and root
- causes; develop appropriate conclusions; and express clear, realistic, and implementable
- Resilient character, with the ability to engage positively with people at all levels of the organization yet deploying strong leadership and influencing skills at the appropriate time.
- Accomplished networker, with the ability to gain the trust of staff.
Benefits on offer:
- Regular working from home in the UK, with at least two working days per week in the Chiswick
- Our Client offers a competitive reward package of base salary, incentives and benefits which is designed to attract, retain and motivate the best talent in the industry
- A performance-driven culture that generates results.
- A commitment to your personal and professional development.
- A chance to make a difference to our business, working in or leading teams of talented, committed
- A culture that appreciates inclusion & diversity and provides equal opportunities.
- Recognition and reward for your performance.