Position: Electrical Design Engineer
Location: Cowes, UK
Permanent / full time
Our Client is a major, world leading provider of specialist services to the marine, engineering, oil and gas and other high assurance sectors across the global arena. They are looking for an Electrical Design Engineer, in a permanent staff capacity, to join an expert close-knit team specialising on up-coming marine projects for their global customer base. You will be working in a rapidly growing design department alongside experienced Mechanical Engineers, Software Engineers, Draughtspersons and Production Technicians, and will be responsible for designing and developing turnkey load monitoring solutions to the marine and oil and gas industry.
This division of our client is a partner of choice in the development of innovative monitoring solutions to enhance the safety and performance of multiple major assets. They specialise in the design and manufacture of standard and bespoke load cells, strain gauges and integrated systems for high-risk, hostile and hazardous environments.
Working as part of a rapidly growing design team, your role and responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to the following;
- Design and develop turnkey load monitoring solutions to the marine and oil and gas sector
- Support the Electrical Design Engineering team, delivering timely and accurate electrical design solutions, including documentation and drawings
- Electrical equipment selection
- Electrical Cable selection
- Generate fully specified Bills of Materials for procurement
- Prepare, system layouts, detailed drawings and schematic concepts to the Drawing Office.
- Participate in design reviews
- Provide technical support to the production teams
- Participate in other design office tasks, including support to sales activity
- Identify lessons learnt from manufacturing and in-service vessel users, such that we continuously improve the reliability and utility of new electrical designs
Knowledge and experience required;
- The ideal candidate will have previously worked within a marine design/engineering industry and have proven experience in the design of electrical control and automation systems.
- A good understanding of modern PLC control is desirable
- Understanding of common production processes relating to marine electrical and electronic systems is desirable
- Programming experience with Siemens PLC systems is highly preferred
- Hazardous Area Knowledge of ATEX /IECEX and knowledge of offshore oil and gas operations will have significant advantage
- Experience of working in a Manufacturing environment
- Experience of working using an MRP System
- HNC Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- COMPEX desirable but not essential
Key Behaviours and Personal Attributes
- A proactive, effective communicator
- A Problem solver with a ‘can do’ approach
- A creative approach to implementing new methods and procedures to ensure effective and efficient operations
- A results-orientated individual that takes pride in product quality
- Demonstrates the highest levels of integrity, honesty and professionalism
- Ability to take ownership and accountability of tasks and drive to a successful conclusion
- Ability to adapt to changing scope or client demands
- Focused on delivery to budget and schedule
- Demands results to meet overall project success
- Highly motivated individual with the ability to inspire others
Due to the high levels of interest in our advertised vacancies and the number of applications we receive, Simpson Booth regrets that it is not possible to respond to all submissions. If you have not heard from Simpson Booth regarding your application within 14 days please assume that, in this instance, you have been unsuccessful.